International IDEA aims to:
- Assist countries in building the capacity to develop and strengthen
democratic institutions and to identify and reinforce the position of
key democratic actors.
- Provide a forum for dialogue between researchers and policymakers,
activists and professionals in the area of democratic processes.
- Synthesize research and field experience, and develop practical tools
to help improve democratic processes.
- Promote transparency, accountability and efficiency in relation to
the management of elections.
- Facilitate assessment, monitoring and promotion of democracy by local
IDEA helps countries build democracy from the ground up. The Institute
collaborates with members of the international democracy community,
as well as with local stakeholders in Africa, Asia, Latin America,
the Arab World and the South Caucasus. Read
Sustainable Electoral Processes
The current direction for the elections-related work
of International IDEA is towards the promotion and enhancement of
quality and sustainability in election structures, election administration,
and in international election work. This includes commitment to:
- quality - enhancing the skills and the confidence of election
- sustainability - enhancing the permanence, professionalism,
efficiency and cost-effectiveness of the electoral process.
The key aim of the political participation thematic area
is to provide well-documented comparative information on ways of
enhancing citizen participation in democratic processes.
Democracy Building and Conflict
Management Many organizations work in conflict management.
What gives International IDEA its niche in this area, and its added
value, is in overtly linking conflict management to democracy, both
in viewing and using the institutions of democracy as conflict management
tools, and in approaching conflict management within civil society
as a focused support for sustainable democracy.